Ashley S. Lingerfelt obtained her Bachelor of the Arts degree from Berry College, where she earned a double major in Psychology and Religion. She then received her Master of Science degree in Clinical Counseling and Psychology from Brenau University. She is a Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of Georgia and completed the requirements for Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health Endorsement as a research fellow in the Infant-Parent Mental Health Fellowship and Postgraduate Certificate Program at the University of Massachusetts Boston, where she had the opportunity to contribute original research to the field of infant and early childhood mental health, while also fulfilling the Alliance for Infant Mental Health requirements as an Infant & Early Childhood Mental Health Specialist.
Ashley is Perinatal Mental Health Certified, a Certified FirstPlay® Practitioner, and a Registered Circle of Security Parenting Facilitator. She completed the Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders: Components of Care and Advanced Perinatal Mental Health Psychotherapy Training through Postpartum Support International. Ashley also serves on the board of directors for Postpartum Support International’s Georgia Chapter as the Mental Health Liaison, where she serves as a subject matter expert on perinatal mood and anxiety disorders.
Some relevant trainings Ashley has completed include:
- “Complicated Grief, Collage, and Trauma Theory: An Artful Integration” by Peggy Kolodny, MA, ATR-BC, LCPAT, and Sharon Strouse, MA, ATR-BC, LCPAT
- “Sounds Like Fun! Play Therapy with Teens and Pre-Teens” by Jeff Ashby, PhD, ABPP, RPT-S
- “Neurobiology of Play Therapy: Neurosensory Play Interactions in the Treatment of Childhood Trauma” by Ken Schwartzenberger, LCSW, RPT-S, EPT-D
- “Courageous Kidz: Play Therapy for Anxiety Disorders” by Scott Riviere, MS, LPC, RPT-S
- “Play Therapy for Relational Treatment of Children on the Autism Spectrum” by Jodi Cobb, PhD, LCMFT
- “The Ethics of TeleMental Health: The New Era of Technology-Assisted Media” by Dr. Becky Beaton, PhD
- “FirstPlay® Kinesthetic Story “BACK Stories”” by Janet Courtney, PhD
- “FirstPlay® Infant Massage Storytelling” by Janet Courtney, PhD
- “Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders: Components of Care” by Birdie Meyer, RN, MA, CLC, Katayune Kaeni, Psy. D., and Chris Raines, RN MSN APRN-BC
- “Advanced Perinatal Mental Health Psychotherapy Training” by Birdie Meyer, RN, MA, CLC, Katayune Kaeni, Psy. D., and Chris Raines, RN MSN APRN-BC
- “Integrating the Relational Neurosciences with Child & Play Therapy” by Robyn Gobbel, LCSW, RPT-S
- “Therapy For Birth Trauma (Level I)” by Krysta Dancy, MA, MFT
- “Therapy For Birth Trauma (Level 2)” by Krysta Dancy, MA, MFT
- “Legal and Ethical Issues Impacting Clinical Practice” by Howard Gold, PC
- “Circle of Security Parenting Facilitation Training” by Carlos Guerrero, MD, LCSW
- NCAST Teaching and Feeding Scales by Denise Findlay, RN, BSN, PGCert IPMH
- DIR 101: “An Introduction to DIR® and DIRFloortime® (Floortime)” by Jeffrey J. Guenzel, MA, LPC, Jackie Bartell, MSEd, and Lyn Bennett, OTR/L
- DIR 201: “The DIRFloortime® Basic Certificate Course” by Jackie Bartell MSEd and Sanjay Kumar, OT
- DIR 430: “Motor Planning: It Impacts Communication and More” by Lyn Bennett OTR/L and Joleen R. Fernald, PhD, CCC-SLP, BCS-CL
For mental health counseling, she is in private practice in Woodstock, Georgia and serves clients in the Metro-Atlanta area.
In addition to her mental health work, Ashley is also passionate about maternal and infant birth care. She is a Certified Lactation Counselor through the Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice and is currently completing the Childbirth International Certification as a Birth Doula. Ashley currently serves on the Georgia Birth Network Board of Directors.
Ashley is a mother, wife, and Disney lover who enjoys spending time with her baby and her furbabies. She loves watching Netflix after everyone else goes to sleep and she also loves french fries. You can follow her professional account on Instagram @theperinataltherapist.